Summer is upon us! And with summer comes outdoor activities! Yay! Living in Colorado, we are a camping family, so we always have bug spray on hand because our kiddos must be super sweet to those mosquitos and I happen to be allergic. We never realized what we were spraying on ourselves and our kiddos until I began this oily journey and became more curious of what was actually IN those “everyday” household items such as bug spray. Well if you have the “Think Dirty” app, grab your phone and go scan your can of Off... it’s scary how full of toxic chemicals it is!
Thankfully there are several essential oils that naturally repel insects! Not only does it help repel, it smells way better and isn't laced with chemicals, win-win if you ask me!
Bug Spray essential oil Recipe
2 ounces distilled or boiled water
1.5 ounces witch hazel or vodka
30 drops citronella essential oil
25 drops peppermint essential oil
15 drops tea tree essential oil
Add all ingredients to a glass spray bottle and gently swirl to mix ingredients. Glass bottles you'll need are linked below.
at home Bug Bite Relief
Try these home remedies!
- Apply lavender or tea tree essential oil directly to the insect bite. (My go to choice!)
- Apply apple cider vinegar to the bite
- Rub the affected area with a lemon slice
- Dip a chilled already brewed chamomile tea bag to the bite to soothe to reduce inflammation
- Hold an ice cube on the bite
- Create a paste of water and baking soda and apply directly to the bug bite area
- A slice of onion has been known to immediately remove pain when applied to insect bites